Android Developer (Contracted)
About the project
Kiwix is a free software project that provides internet content to people without internet access. It’s a digital library that enables websites to be viewed offline in the same way they’re viewed online. The Kiwix association is based in Switzerland and supported by the Wikimedia Foundation (amongst others).
Kiwix Android is only five years old but it has already reached a broad audience of around 300’000 active users. We are searching for an experienced Android developer who is passionate about user experience to build version 3 of Kiwix Android. In this role, you will be responsible for:
- Revamping the library interface to improve user experience
- Stabilizing the ZIM download service
- Improving automated testing infrastructure
- Improving continuous integration
You are a developer committed to (or at least familiar with) open source software and ready to work with a team of volunteer developers in an open, collaborative environment.
You have a degree in computer science and a track record on Android we can look at. We have a particular interest in your skills with:
- Android Service Lifecycle, including the role of notifications and recovery from being killed by the system
- Android Content providers and the Android Webview
- Android UI design/mockup and tests (we use Espresso)
- Java JNI as most of the backend code is written in C++
- Build process including native compilation and compilation of multiple build variants/flavours
- MVP style architectures
You are independent and have a good sense for time/work estimation, software architecture and software quality.
Timeline & Logistics
The contract runs over the next 6 months at a 60-100% FTE and can be executed remotely.
You can have a look at open tickets here to get an idea of where we are. If you are still interested, send us an email (including cover letter and CV) at email@example.com.