Kiwix is a vital service that provides internet content to people without internet access. It’s a digital library that enables websites to be viewed offline in the same way they’re viewed online.
Kiwix Android is only five years old but it has already reached a broad audience of around three hundred thousand active users. We are searching for an experienced Android developer who is passionate about user experience to build version 3 of Kiwix Android. In this role, you will be responsible for:
- Revamping the library interface to improve user experience
- Stabilizing the ZIM download service
- Improving automated testing infrastructure
- Improving continuous integration
You are a developer committed to (or at least familiar with) open source software and ready to work with a team of volunteer developers in an open, collaborative environment.
You have a degree in computer science and a track record on Android we can look at. We have a particular interest in your skills with:
- Android Service Lifecycle, including the role of notifications and recovery from being killed by the system
- Android Content providers and the Android Webview
- Android UI design/mockup and tests (we use Espresso)
- Java JNI as most of the backend code is written in C++
- Build process including native compilation and compilation of multiple build variants/flavours
- MVP style architectures
You are independent and have a good sense for time/work estimation, software architecture and software quality.
Timeline & Logistics:
The contract runs over the next 6 months at a 60-100% FTE and can be executed remotely.
Kiwix is a free software project aiming to provide access to free knowledge to people without access to Internet. It is based in Switzerland and supported (amongst others) by the Wikimedia movement, of Wikipedia fame.